Skip the Sugar Crash with Hearty Cinnamon Almond Pancakes
Made with almond flour, these pancakes are gluten-free and lower in carbs than traditional pancakes. Skip the sugar crash and fuel up for morning rides with these hearty pancakes that have an ideal mix of carbs, protein, and fat. The batter will be thin and delicate, more like a crepe than a pancake.
Almond flour is just finely ground whole almonds. Most groceries now stock it in the baking goods aisle or with natural foods (one common brand is Bob’s Red Mill). You can make your own using a food processor or blender—just be sure not to grind the nuts too long or you’ll end up with almond butter!
TIME: 20 minutes
1 cup almond flour
¼ cup milk or water
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 tablespoon honey or
a dash each of ground cinnamon and salt
- Mix together all ingredients in a bowl.
- Bring a lightly oiled sauté pan to medium-high heat. When pan is hot, pour batter to form pancakes, leaving ample space between each to allow batter to spread. Unlike traditional pancakes these will not bubble, so watch for the edges to brown, then gently flip over and brown the other side.
Serve hot, topped with toasted almonds, yogurt, or fresh fruit. Makes about 6 pancakes.
TIP: Even easier: If you’re not concerned about gluten, add ground almonds to your usual packaged pancake mix. Follow package directions from there.
NUTRITION DATA PER SERVING (3 pancakes) > Energy 557 cal • Fat 47 g • Sodium 447 mg • Carbs 23 g • Fiber 6 g • Protein 19 g
In the Feed Zone, the menu has changed and no one can argue with the results: real food is better. Real food tastes better, digests quickly, and helps you perform at your best.
The Feed Zone Cookbook includes 150 everyday recipes for athletes. Each breakfast, lunch, and dinner recipe is simple, delicious, and easy to prepare.
Feed Zone Portables, offers portable performance snacks made of real food. Try out 75 all-new rice cakes, two-bite pies, waffles, and other tasty snacks.
Try these cookbooks today! Find The Feed Zone Cookbook and Feed Zone Portables in your local bookstore; bike, tri, or running shop; or from these online retailers:
- SkratchLabs.com: The Feed Zone Cookbook and Feed Zone Portables
- VeloPress.com: The Feed Zone Series
- Amazon.com: The Feed Zone Cookbook and Feed Zone Portables
- BarnesandNoble.com: The Feed Zone Cookbook and Feed Zone Portables
- Chapters/Indigo.com: The Feed Zone Cookbook and Feed Zone Portables
- TriSports.com: The Feed Zone Cookbook and Feed Zone Portables
- Your local independent bookseller: The Feed Zone Cookbook and Feed Zone Portables
- E-book edition on Apple’s iBookstore for iPad: The Feed Zone Cookbook
The Feed Zone Cookbook and Feed Zone Portables are published by VeloPress, the leading publisher of books on cycling, triathlon, and running. Please see more VeloPress nutrition books at velopress.com/category/nutrition-and-diet